The people at ANOM (Archives nationales d'outre-mer) are working at a snapping pace and now have the parish and civil registers of Martinique online. Over forty towns, or communes, are included, and registrations go back to 1666. In addition to the birth, marriage and death records are divorce and enfranchisement records.
Very exciting news and one wonders what will be next, for with Martinique, the category of Antilles-Guyane is complete. The categories that remain to be put online are:
- Afrique - only Algeria is online, and there are nine more collections in this group
- Amérique du Nord - we are betting this will come last. It includes Canada, Louisiana and Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon
- Asie - French India, which is a very large group and Indochina
- Océan Indien - Réunion, Île Maurice, Madagascar, Mayotte, the Seychelles (our bet is that this will be next)
- Océanie - New Caledonia, New Hebrides, French Polynesia, Wallis and Futuna
Nice holiday gift from the national archives. Enjoy!
©2010 Anne Morddel